How Well Do You Know...Kaiser Wilhelm II? (The answers to yesterday's quiz are below)
1. To which famous anthem was an extra verse added to celebrate Wilhelm’s birth?
2. Which university did Wilhelm attend?
3. What was the name of Wilhelm’s tutor, who, according to his pupil, made lessons so dull that childhood became ‘joyless’?
4. Who informed Wilhelm that his grandmother, Queen Victoria, was dying?
5. Of what did Wilhelm have a phobia?
6. What nickname was given to Wilhelm by his cousins, due to his impulsiveness?
7. According to Princess Blucher, what aspect of the Kaiser were his generals afraid of during World War I?
8. How did Wilhelm react after visiting Verdun during World War I?
9. Of whom did Wilhelm say, “He is a greater autocrat than I or the Tsar of Russia. He has more power than either of us ever had.”?
10. What was the first thing that Wilhelm asked for on his arrival in exile in the Netherlands?
There is a man alone, without family, without children, without God....He builds legions but he doesn’t build a nation. A nation is created by families, a religion, tradition: it is made up out of the hearts of mothers, the wisdom of fathers, the joy and the exuberance of children.’ ?
12. Of what did Wilhelm die?
How Well Do You Know...Grand Duchess Elizabeth (Ella) of Russia?
1. On what feast day was Ella born in 1864?
2. After which saintly ancestor was she named?
St Elizabeth of Hungary
3. When the rest of the family contracted diphtheria, with whom and where was Ella sent to stay?
With her paternal grandmother at Bessungen
4. After Ella had rejected the offer of marriage from her cousin, Wilhelm, whom did Queen Victoria want her to marry?
Fritz of Baden
5. Which celebrated beauty did Ella meet during her honeymoon in Ilinskoe, who became one of her closest friends until the Revolution?
6. How did Ella describe her cousin, Eddy (Prince Albert Victor), when she heard that Queen Victoria wished him to marry her sister, Alix?
7. According to the French Ambassador, which book did Serge forbid her to read?
8. For what minor affliction did Queen Victoria’s doctor, Sir James Reid, treat Ella during the Jubilee celebrations?
A slight red blemish/spot on her face!
9. When Ella established her convent, whom did she appoint as chaplain and her chief spiritual advisor?
10. Where and with whom was Ella when she heard of the assassination of Franz Ferdinand?
In Alapaevsk with her sister, Victoria
11. Which two of her religious sisters accompanied Ella into Siberia in 1918?
Catherine & Barbara
12. Where is Ella buried?
The Mount of Olives in Jerusalem