How Well Do You Know...Royal Palaces & Homes? (The answers to Tuesday's quiz are below)
1. Which ill-fated couple are interred in Artstetten?
2. Which of George IV’s holiday homes did Queen Victoria dislike because of the crowds who came to stare at her there?
3. Which famous architect worked with Prince Albert in designing Osborne House?
4. Which house on the Windsor estate did Queen Victoria give to her mother?
5. What was the name of of Empress Frederick’s house near Kronberg?
6. Where, to the annoyance of his courtiers, did George V choose to live rather than occupying Sandringham House?
7. Which English house was given to Queen Maud of Norway by her father?
8. Which island home did Princess Beatrice occupy after selling Osborne Cottage in 1913?
9. Which house was given to Princess Charlotte & Prince Leopold as a wedding present from Parliament?
10. What was the name of Franz Josef’s summer retreat where he proposed to his wife?
11. What was the favourite home of Tsar Nicholas II and Tsarina Alexandra?
12. What was the name of Grand Duke Serge’s country estate where he and his wife spent their honeymoon?
How Well Do You Know...Royal Marriages (of the 19th/early 20th century)?
1. Which of Queen Victoria’s uncles married his niece?
Ernest I of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha
2. Of whom was Wilhelm II speaking when he said she would marry anyone who was manly?
His sister, Victoria Moretta
3. Of whom was Vicky speaking when she said, “Who can tell what his tastes may be”?
Ernie of Hesse
4. The wife of which of Queen Victoria’s uncles was (falsely!) rumoured to have poisoned her second husband in order to remarry?
Ernest Augustus of Hanover; Duke of Cumberland
5. Which of Queen Victoria’s cousins became a king by marrying a queen?
Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg Kohary
6. Complete this sentence written by Queen Victoria, “Marriage is such a ------- after all.”
7. Which King of Great Britain and which Tsar of Russia married their late brothers’ fiancées?
George V and Alexander III
8. To whom did Franz Josef intend to propose when he was distracted by Sissi and proposed to her instead?
Her sister, Helene
9. Which royal wife did Queen Victoria call a ‘poor insignificant princess’?
Dona, Empress Augusta Victoria of Germany
10. Of whom was Tsar Nicholas II speaking when he said he would rather become a monk than marry her?
Mossy (Margaret) of Prussia
11. Which of his cousins did Queen Victoria want her grandson, Prince Albert Victor, to marry?
Alix of Hesse
12. Who accused his wife of infecting the dynasty when their son was discovered to be a haemophiliac?
Alfonso XIII of Spain