(The answers to yesterday's quiz are below)
1. Which of Queen Victoria’s uncles married his niece?
2. Of whom was Wilhelm II speaking when he said she would marry anyone who was manly?
3. Of whom was Vicky speaking when she said, “Who can tell what his tastes may be”?
4. The wife of which of Queen Victoria’s uncles was (falsely!) rumoured to have poisoned her second husband in order to remarry?
5. Which of Queen Victoria’s cousins became a king by marrying a queen?
6. Complete this sentence written by Queen Victoria, “Marriage is such a ------- after all.”
7. Which King of Great Britain and which Tsar of Russia married their late brothers’ fiancées?
8. To whom did Franz Josef intend to propose when he was distracted by Sissi and proposed to her instead?
9. Which royal wife di Queen Victoria call a ‘poor insignificant princess’?
10. Of whom was Tsar Nicholas II speaking when he said he would rather become a monk than marry her?
11. Which of his cousins did Queen Victoria want her grandson, Prince Albert Victor, to marry?
12. Who accused his wife of infecting the dynasty when their son was discovered to be a haemophiliac?
How Well Do You Know...Kaiser Wilhelm II?
1. To which famous anthem was an extra verse added to celebrate Wilhelm’s birth?
The British National Anthem
2. Which university did Wilhelm attend?
3. What was the name of Wilhelm’s tutor, who, according to his pupil, made lessons so dull that childhood became ‘joyless’?
4. Who informed Wilhelm that his grandmother, Queen Victoria, was dying?
Her doctor, Sir James Reid
5. Of what did Wilhelm have a phobia?
6. What nickname was given to Wilhelm by his cousins, due to his impulsiveness?
William the Sudden
7. According to Princess Blucher, what aspect of the Kaiser were his generals afraid of during World War I?
His kind heart
8. How did Wilhelm react after visiting Verdun during World War I?
He was physically ill for several weeks
9. Of whom did Wilhelm say, “He is a greater autocrat than I or the Tsar of Russia. He has more power than either of us ever had.”?
10. What was the first thing that Wilhelm asked for on his arrival in exile in the Netherlands?
A nice English cup of tea
11. Of whom was Wilhelm speaking when he said: ‘There is a man alone, without family, without children, without God....He builds legions but he doesn’t build a nation. A nation is created by families, a religion, tradition: it is made up out of the hearts of mothers, the wisdom of fathers, the joy and the exuberance of children.’ ?
12. Of what did Wilhelm die?
A pulmonary embolism