How Well Do You Know...Royal Births in the 19th/early 20th Centuries? (The answers to yesterday's quiz are below)
1. For the birth of which of her children was Queen Victoria first administered chloroform?
2. Which obstetrician killed himself following the death of Princess Charlotte of Wales in childbirth?
3. What physical defect did Kaiser Wilhelm suffer as a result of trauma during his birth?
4. Which of Queen Victoria’s granddaughters gave birth to two sets of twins?
5. After whose birth did Tsar Nicholas II go for a long walk to conceal his disappointment?
6. Which monarch’s wife died 24 hours after giving birth to their fourth child in 1899?
7. Which of Queen Victoria’s grandsons was born after the death of his father?
8. Which royal saint was born on All Saints Day in 1864?
9. Who, having allegedly heard a gypsy prophecy, hurried back to England with his wife for the birth of their first child?
10. When and where was Prince Albert born?
11. Who allegedly fathered Marie of Roumania’s son, Mircea?
12. Why did Queen Victoria claim to be unimpressed on hearing of the birth of her granddaughter, Victoria of Wales?
How Well Do You Know...Royal Religion in the 19th/early 20th Centuries?
1. Which of Queen Victoria’s uncles converted to Catholicism when he married?
Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg
2. What name was Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg given when she was confirmed in Catholicism?
3. Which saintly priest was the spiritual advisor to Tsar Alexander III and his family?
Ioann of Kronstadt
4. What did Louis of Hesse say when he heard his daughter, Ella, was converting to Russian Orthodoxy?
“May God forgive you!”
5. Who converted to Greek Orthodoxy shortly after her marriage to the Crown Prince of the Hellenes?
Sophie of Prussia
6. In which religious faith was Prince Albert raised?
7. Of whom was the German Empress Augusta speaking when she said it was a good thing she had died or her children would have grown up as atheists?
Alice of Hesse
8. What was the name of Grand Duchess Elizabeth’s religious foundation?
The House of Martha & Mary
9. Who wrote to the Dean of Westminster: “Let him never forget the insufficiency of human knowledge and wisdom, and the impossibility of any man, or even any Church to say, ‘I am right. I alone am right.’ Let him therefore be meek and liberal and tolerant to other confessions.” ?
10. At which Presbyterian church did the Royal Family attend services while staying at Balmoral?
11. Which Bishop of Ripon became a close friend of the Empress Frederick?
12. With which pope did Bertie – then Prince of Wales – have an audience in 1859?