How Well Do You Know...Royalties at War in the 19th/early 20th centuries? (Answers to yesterday's quiz are below)
1. Which branch of the armed services was established in 1902 and named after the then Queen of Great Britain?
2. Whose son was killed in action by having his throat slit with a bayonet in 1916?
3. Which of Queen Victoria’s grandsons narrowly escaped death at Colenso when a bullet passed through his wallet?
4. How was George V seriously wounded while reviewing the troops in France during WW1?
5. Which of the Kaiser’s sons was wounded in the Battle of the Marne?
6. En route to which campaign did Henry of Battenberg die?
7. Whom did Tsar Nicholas II replace as the active Commander-in-Chief of the Russian armies in WW1?
8. In the uniform of which regiment did Grand Duke Serge ask to be buried (but his body was too badly damaged for his request to be honoured)?
9. Which granddaughter of Victoria of Hesse hid a Jewish family in her home during WW2?
10. Where was Maurice of Battenberg killed in action in 1914?
11. Which of Queen Victoria’s grandsons served as aide-de-camp to Sir John French during WW1?
12. Who was awarded the Fenian Medal for resisting the Fenians in Canada during the Battle of Eccles Hill?
How Well Do You Know...Royal Celebrations of the 19th/early 20th centuries?
1. Which Queen’s position in the order of precedence at Queen Victoria’s Gold Jubilee irked Wilhelm of Prussia (later the Kaiser) who felt he should have been placed in a superior position to her?
The Queen of Hawaii
2. Which territories were annexed by Austria-Hungary ostensibly in celebration of Franz Josef’s Diamond Jubilee?
3. What dynastic achievement did the Russian Imperial Family celebrate in 1913?
300 years of Romanov rule
4. At whose wedding celebrations were George V, Wilhelm II and Nicholas II together for the last time?
The Kaiser’s daughter, Princess Victoria Louise
5. Where was the Thanksgiving Service for Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee held?
In front of St Paul’s Cathedral
6. For what was a Thanksgiving Service held in London in early 1872?
Bertie’s recovery from typhoid
7. At whose wedding celebrations did Alix of Hesse accept Nicholas of Russia’s marriage proposal?
Ernest of Hesse & Victoria Melita’s
8. With what item of jewellery did Queen Victoria present all her granddaughters in celebration of her Golden Jubilee?
A brooch (and the Jubilee medal)
9. Which royal couple celebrated their Silver Wedding anniversary in 1883?
Vicky & Fritz
10. At whose birthday celebrations were the Prince of Orange, the Prince Regent and several of his brothers found lying intoxicated beneath a table?
The Prince Regent’s
11. What pet animal did Princess Alice receive for her fourth birthday?
12. What were Franz Ferdinand and Sophie celebrating on the day of their assassination?
Their 14th wedding anniversary
13. What feast day were the Serbs celebrating on the day of Franz Ferdinand’s assassination?
St Vitus Day
Post a Comment