(The answers to yesterday's quiz are below)
1. For what ‘offence’ did Wilhelm II threaten to arrest his sister, Sophie, if she ever set foot in Germany again?
2. Whose wedding in 1866 did the Prince & Princess of Wales threaten to boycott?
3. How did Archduke Franz Ferdinand take revenge on Ferdinand of Bulgaria when he insisted on having his train carriage coupled closest to the engine en route to the funeral of Edward VII?
4. Whose influence led to a heated argument between the Tsarina Alexandra and her sister, Ella, at their final meeting?
5. Whose jewels led to dispute between Queen Victoria and her uncle, the King of Hanover?
6. What extreme name did Kaiser Wilhelm call Edward VII?
7. Why was Queen Victoria angered by Prince Albert’s insistence on attending the opening of the gardens of the Royal Horticultural Society in 1861?
8. Who disrupted her parents’ Silver Wedding celebrations by deliberately upstaging her sister-in-law and performing cruel impressions of her?
9. How did Princess Louise add to the distress of her sister, Beatrice, following her husband’s death?
10. What did Emperor Wilhelm I threaten to do if his daughter-in-law Vicky insisted on continuing to push for a marriage between her daughter Moretta and Alexander Battenberg?
11. Whose very public rows caused Vicky much distress during the early years of her marriage?
12. Who refused to allow his wife to attend his coronation?
How Well Do You Know...Royal Births in the 19th/early 20th Centuries?
1. For the birth of which of her children was Queen Victoria first administered chloroform?
2. Which obstetrician killed himself following the death of Princess Charlotte of Wales in childbirth?
Sir Richard Croft
3. What physical defect did Kaiser Wilhelm suffer as a result of trauma during his birth?
His arm failed to develop properly
4. Which of Queen Victoria’s granddaughters gave birth to two sets of twins?
Mossy of Hesse-Kassel/Prussia
5. After whose birth did Tsar Nicholas II go for a long walk to conceal his disappointment?
His daughter, Anastasia’s
6. Which monarch’s wife died 24 hours after giving birth to their fourth child in 1899?
Ferdinand of Bulgaria’s
7. Which of Queen Victoria’s grandsons was born after the death of his father?
Charles Edward of Albany/Coburg
8. Which royal saint was born on All Saints Day in 1864?
Ella of Hesse
9. Who, having allegedly heard a gypsy prophecy, hurried back to England with his wife for the birth of their first child?
Edward, Duke of Kent
10. When and where was Prince Albert born?
August 26 1819 at the Rosenau
11. Who allegedly fathered Marie of Roumania’s son, Mircea?
12. Why did Queen Victoria claim to be unimpressed on hearing of the birth of her granddaughter, Victoria of Wales?
Because ‘it seems to go on like the rabbits in Windsor Park’
Post a Comment