How Well Do You Know...Royal Transport of the 19th/early 20th centuries? (The answers to yesterday's quiz are below)
1. What was the name of the training ship on which Eddy and George of Wales began their sea cadetship?
2. What was the Royal Yacht Victoria & Albert II renamed?
3. On which yacht was Queen Victoria’s body brought back to the mainland from the Isle of Wight for her funeral?
4. Which of the Kaiser’s yachts won the Queen’s Cup in 1896?
5. Queen Victoria was the first British monarch to use which mode of transport?
6. What was the name of Tsar Nicholas II’s favourite yacht?
7. What was the name of Kaiser Wilhelm II’s favourite yacht?
8. Where did the Russian Imperial train derail in 1888, leading the Tsar to support the roof on his shoulders to allow the family to escape?
9. Who, in 1910, organised a series of trials for the Vauxhall Motor Company in return for which a car was named in his honour?
10. For what transport related offence was Maurice of Battenberg fined £3?
11. Which car had the number plate was A11 118?
12. Who was the first British monarch to travel to an official engagement in a motor car?
How Well Do You Know...Royal Weddings & Marriages of the 19th/Early 20th centuries
1. Whose marriage led Queen Victoria to declare, “I hate weddings!”
Ella of Hesse & Serge of Russia
2. Which of Queen Victoria’s children married a commoner (albeit an aristocratic one!)?
3. Which of Queen Victoria’s children had to use a walking stick on his wedding day?
4. At whose wedding did the recently-bereaved celebrant, the Archbishop of Canterbury, weep throughout the ceremony?
5. Who met her future husband while attending the wedding of her cousin, Moretta of Prussia?
Marie Louise of Schleswig-Holstein
6. Where did Princess Alice marry Louis of Hesse?
In the Dining Room of Osborne House
7. Which member of the Russian Imperial Family tried to elope with one unsuitable bride before secretly marrying another?
8. The wedding of which of Queen Victoria’s children caused a great stir in the Prussian Royal Family as they believed the groom was unworthy of his bride?
9. Whose wedding was marred by an assassination attempt which led to the deaths of many bystanders and members of the suite?
Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg & Alfonso XIII of Spain
10. Whose marriage was so frowned upon by the court that not one member of the groom’s family attended the wedding?
Archduke Franz Ferdinand & Sophie Chotek’s
11. Who caused a scandal at his daughter’s wedding by announcing that he had secretly married his mistress?
Louis of Hesse
12. Who, in 1902, left his niece’s wedding early in order to run away with his mistress?